Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pumping 101

I guess as someone who has pumping for over a year, I might be an expert.  At times I don't fee like an expert anymore since I only pump 1-2 times a day on week days now but at this time last year I was pumping AT LEAST 8 times a day.  I will tell you more about that later but today I will focus on the things that made pumping easier for me.

Due to Ant being in the NICU I had to pump in my milk supply.  He did nurse latch on a few times in the hospital but I wouldn't call that true nursing because he normally fell asleep.  For those who find themselves in this situation of pumping in your milk supply, it is possible and also possible to maintain it.  For me it helped to have a roll model, my SIL pumped enough milk for TWINS for a WHOLE YEAR.  If you are need of a roll model I will be yours. 

When I first got to the recovery room after Ant was delivered I DEMANDED that one of the lactation consultants be there.  She fitted me for the hospital pump and I started pumping.  I woke up several times that first night to pump (Yes, I know it was crazy but it worked).  The first 5 days were tough because when I pumped I hardly got anything but on the 6th day my milk came in with a vengeance.  By the time I was discarded I was pumping about 4oz for each pump session and FINALLY Ant was getting breast milk instead of formula. 

The most important thing if you are pumping in your milk is don't give up and if your milk hasn't come in after a week, then consult your Dr. 

After we got home from the hospital I tried to switch Ant to the breast unsuccessfully.  This caused my milk supply to drop.  So the first month of his life I pumped, fed, and increased my milk supply.  I did this by:
  1. Pumping at least 8 times a day for 15+ minutes
  2. I took fenugreek and More Milk Plus
  3. I had a hands free pump bra.  The one I use now is a Pumpease.  At the beginning I just used old sports bra and cut slits.  I would wear the bra all day and just used pads to cover the slits.
  4. I also had LOTS of help.
  5. Distractions (don't watch the milk) I would surf the web while I pumped.  This can be dangerous if you are an online shopper like me.  I just used this time to find the BEST deals on products.
  6. Hand expression
 If anyone has any specific pumping questions, please ask them!!
Mama Q

No comments:

Post a Comment